Sunday, January 27, 2013

Meet Lilly

The other night on outreach I had an encounter with a precious broken woman. Her name is Lilly*. She came up to us while we were sitting on the ground with our street friends...(usually we sit on a curb in the red light district, hangout with the kids, and do school with them). This gives the kids a little break from begging on the streets,  it allows them to learn since they can't attend school and it lets them to be kids for just a little bit.

Sometimes this little 'school scene' attracts attention because it is pretty ironic to be teaching kids the alphabet while women are lining the street corners waiting for clients. In fact, right before Lilly came by a French man came up to us and asked, "What are you all doing here with these kids?" I responded, "We are having school." He laughed out loud and said "This is so strange- street school and prostitution right next to each other!" Then he walked away. He is right... It is pretty strange but if we can educate this kids, teach them about Christ, and show them that they are valuable then maybe in the future they won't be lining the street corners like the others.

Anyhow, going back to my encounter with Lilly. She was also intrigued by our street school. Lilly came up to us with her Japanese client, both smelling of alcohol. Lilly just stood their watching the kids do the school worksheets. I kind of smiled at the couple, but thinking that my Thai was too limited to explain to them what we are doing here, I just carried on working with the kids. Then all of a sudden Lilly started talking to our Cambodian street friends in their own language of Khmer, then she leaned over to her Japanese client and spoke in his language, then a second later she started speaking to me in English! Right away I knew this women was educated! Then I thought to myself, "I wonder what circumstances led her to work the streets." I didn't have to ask her much, she was willing to share her story.

 Lilly told me that she came into the city to go to business school. After she completed school she opened up her own knitting business making hats and scarfs. She said that the business wasn't doing well so she had to close it down. Without the income from her business she fell into the dark system of prostitution. She shared with me that she went to visit her family but her mother didn't want to have anything to do with her. Lilly began to cry as she told me about the abandonment from her mother. She said that when she saw her mom, she reached out her hands to her but her mother turned her back to her. This sad conversation happened within minutes of just meeting Lilly. It made me think, "Wow this precious women is sharing a deep, deep wound of abandonment to me- a total stranger. I wonder what other levels of pain she's faced. She must be lonely. She clearly wants to have someone just listen to her." 

Right after she wiped her tears, she pulled off the knitted hat that she had made and she showed me a scar on her head. The scar was from a former client. She spoke of abuse and abandonment. My heart was literally aching for her. I decided to give her our contact information if she wanted to talk more. I told her that  if she comes by our community center I would make her tea and we could just sit. I hope she calls.

I wanted to share this story because I hope that those of you who read this blog will begin to see that the issue is not that her business fell through, or that she is working the streets. It is not an economical issue, it is a spiritual issue. Ephesians 6 says, "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against spiritual forces of evil." John 10:10 says, "The thief comes to kill, steal, and destroy." Satan wants to put Lilly in bondage. He wants to destroy innocence and keep people isolated from their Creator. Those of you who are reading this blog please please remember that there is a desperate need to intercede and truly come before God's throne in power, knowing that we are fighting a spiritual battle. You have an opportunity to come before the throne of our Everlasting God who can restore and heal Lilly and tons of other girls in her situation. I want to ask you all to begin praying with serious passion! Pray for Lilly. Pray that she contacts us or other Christian NGOs. Pray that she can learn of Christ love. You are a minister of God's hope through prayer. Please pray that the gospel goes out to these women- for Christ is their only HOPE! He is our only HOPE! 

I want to end this blog with Scripture. 

Revelation 21:3-5, And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Look! God's dwelling place is now among the people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. He who was seated on the throne said, 
                                           "I AM MAKING EVERYTHING NEW!"

(* indicates a name change)

No comments:

Post a Comment